Former Manchester United striker Cristiano Ronaldo has been fined £50,000 and banned for two matches by the English Football Association.
After Ronaldo smashed a fan’s phone at Goodison Park in April following Man United’s loss to Everton last season, the FA has concluded its investigation and handed Ronaldo a penalty.
The five-time Ballon d’Or winner was announced to be out of contract with United by mutual consent just a day after his explosive interview with Piers Morgan about the club’s management and manager Erik ten Hag.
Ronaldo said the club had been stagnant since Sir Alex Ferguson left in 2013, adding that there had been no growth. He also said that he had no respect for Ten Hag because the manager had no respect for him.
Man United’s owners, the Glazers, also announced on Tuesday evening that they were putting the club up for sale and would be listening to offers.
According to The Mirror UK, the ban means Ronaldo would be suspended for two games if he joins another Premier League club, with Chelsea and Newcastle both linked with a move for the 37-year-old.
Ronaldo is in Qatar preparing for Portugal’s World Cup opener against Ghana on Thursday
All rights reserved. This material and other digital content on this website may not be reproduced, published, transmitted, rewritten or redistributed in whole or in part without the prior written permission of PUNCH.
Contact: [email protected]