fought Nollywood Actor Moses Armstrong once again insists that he is not a rapist.
The actor is accused of raping a minor, an allegation he vehemently denied.
In June 2022, Mr Armstrong was convicted of “rape” and “threatening life”.
He was convicted of allegedly raping a minor, a teenage girl he had adopted and lived with his (Mr Armstrong’s) family.
The actress was first arraigned before the Uyo Magistrate’s Court on June 17, but the case was dropped after Samuel Ukoima ruled that the case was properly filed.
Mr Armstrong was charged with rape, intimidation, conspiracy and supplying drugs or instruments to procure an abortion.
He pleaded not guilty to all four charges.
On Wednesday, the case against the actor resumed in court where his accuser testified.
The case was then adjourned to January 19, 2023.
In an interview with PREMIUM TIMES on Friday, the actor’s lawyer, Emmanuel Pantaleon, described the case as an attempt at blackmail.
READ ALSO: Electoral project: why a direct primary is not feasible – Jega
According to Mr Armstrong, who has pleaded not guilty, his accuser lived with him for four years.
He then left the house on his own. He wanted to go back, but she refused.
He also stated that after two years away from home, he started making accusations.
“My arrest and detention affected my career in some ways. Before I was arrested, I had four outstanding jobs, but by the time I was released, they had been handed over. I’m still building it little by little,” he said.
He added that while he was in custody, the girl in question came to visit him, crying.
“He said he withdrew the case and that was not what he was told. It was obvious that they were being manipulated,” he said.
The actor, a former aide to Akwa Ibom State governor, Emmanuel Udom, described the suspension by the Actors Guild of Nigeria (AGN) as unfortunate.
According to him, the Guild refused him because of bigotry.
“I saw my suspension as bigotry because I am not Igbo. If I were Igbo, things would have taken a different turn. Two other AGN members who are Igbo had the same problem but were not suspended.
“However, Rollas decided to suspend, even without listening to me, my lawyer or my manager. It was pure arrogance. It is a guild I have served diligently for the last 23 years,” he said.
Speaking to this newspaper, counsel for Mr. Armstrong confirmed that the case is open to hearing.
According to him, the complainant testified midway before it was adjourned until January.
“We cannot speculate at this time. The case is in court, so we cannot comment.
“When the case resumes, there may be cross-examination of the main witness,” he said.
In August, after improving his bail conditions, the actor was released from prison.
The Actors Guild of Nigeria suspended him after the rape allegation.
The Akwa Ibom State born actor, who started his career 23 years ago, lost his wife, Rita in 2018.
The mother of two was returning to her husband’s residence in Uyo, Akwa Ibom State, from Lagos when the bus she was traveling in crashed at the Ugbogui axis of the Benin Ore Lagos Expressway.
Rita, a Nollywood actress, died of spinal injuries sustained in the accident.
Accept PREMIUM TIMES’ journalism of integrity and credibility
Good journalism costs a lot of money. However, only good journalism can guarantee a good society, a responsible democracy and the possibility of a transparent government.
For free access to the best investigative journalism in the country, we ask that you make a modest contribution to this noble endeavor.
By contributing to PREMIUM TIMES, you are helping to sustain journalism that matters and keep it free and accessible to all.
Text ad: Call Willie – +2348098788999